Monday, October 18, 2010

Voluntourism: Giving Back to the Community while on Vacation

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/programmes/fast_track/9102045.stm

I wanted to share this story and video I saw on BBC's website this morning that shows how more and more people are volunteering with local service organizations in Africa, Latin America and Asia when they go on vacation. And just how much people love doing it! Spend a few weeks or a month during your vacation to really learn about the culture by living in a community, interacting with the locals and helping in their daily life. You'll make friends in the community and learn more than you ever imagined.

AWAZ facilitates Volunteer programs for our partners in India and we'd love for more people to consider this opportunity.
We work with Artisan groups and Educational Programs, Environmental Organizations and Microfinance Institutions around Dehradun, a lovely small town city nestled in the foothills of the Himalayas, only 7 hours north of Delhi and 1 hour from Rishikesh, India's Yoga Capital of the World. My good friends Talha and Neena, in addition to the organizations, help to set up your housing and manage your stay.
You can read more about our Volunteer Program on our website.

My inspiration for starting AWAZ and this program came from my service experiences in India where I spent time teaching English to low income children and helping local organizations with fundraising and management. It was a rewarding experience where I learned so much about the world around me and myself - hence, that's why I keep going back! You can read more about my experience in this article (page 6) from my time in university.

I was so impacted by my travel and service experiences in India, that now, we have created an opportunity for you to experience it too. I've spent the last five years of my life developing relationships and working with small, grassroots organizations in India who I trust and know would love your help. Give back and make a difference, you never know where it will take you!

No comments: